Announcements & Important Course Information
- Welcome to Organic Chemistry 1 Lecture
I am looking forward to a productive, challenging, and rewarding semester!
- Please visit the links to the left for important course information.
- Our first CHEM 234 class meeting will be on Wednesday, January 18, 11:10 am - Noon in 7-115
- On Mondays & Wednesdays we will meet in 7-115
- On Fridays, we will meet in 7-111
- The course text is Organic Chemistry by Janice Gorzynski Smith.
- You may use the 5th, 4th, or 3rd edition of the text.
- The reading and problem assignments are a critical part of your studying for the course!
- The 5th edition is available in the Skyline College Bookstore.
- You may be able to buy the earlier editions (4th or 3rd) online for much less money. If you choose this option, order it right away so that you will have it very soon.
- There is a copy of the fourth edition textbook and solutions manual available on 2-hour reserve in the library for you to reference until you receive your own copy.
- Regardless of the edition of the text that you purchase, I highly recommend buying the same edition of the Study Guide and Solutions Manual. The solutions manual is a complete solutions guide to all of the questions in the text.
- Free access to Organic Chemistry, 4th ed. by Smith is available online for two weeks
with the following link:
- You will need to register with the system to access it. If you are already registered with Connect, just login. You can enroll for free for two weeks. The two weeks starts the date that you sign up!
- Important: We will NOT be using Connect for the course, so you should NOT buy access.
- Please sign up for the Sapling Learning Online Homework System:
- Follow the above link.
- If you have an account, log in. If you do not have an account, create an account.
- Please enter your first and last names in the profile as they appear on your official Skyline record. If you go by a different name or a nickname, please put it in parentheses after your first name.
- From the expanding menus, select Skyline College, Organic Chemistry, Semester 1.
- Then select Skyline College - CHEM 234 - Spring 17 - Bates.
- When you register for the course on the system, you may select to use it for the first two weeks of the semester for free. You must then pay to continue to have access.
- The first Sapling Learning problem set and an introductory BONUS problem set are posted.
- Please begin reading and working book problems from Chapters 1-3 (a review of General Chemistry topics with emphasis on their application in Organic Chemistry) and the worksheets under General Chemistry Review. The problem assignments and worksheets are on the LECTURE page. The book problems and extra practice worksheets will not be collected or graded, but are an essential part of your preparation for the course and exams.
- Academic integrity is an important issue in all academic settings, and will be taken very seriously by the instructor of this course, and the college generally.
- I recognize that most students conduct themselves with honesty and integrity. I also recognize that the actions of a few dishonest students and the impact of those actions on the academic process necessitate a frank and ongoing discussion of this issue.
- Please review the Student Handbook information on Academic