Announcements & Important Course Information
March 23, 2017
- I am not feeling well and will not be on campus today, Thursday, March 23, so I will not be available today for office hours.
- I expect to be back on Friday for lecture, but will email and/or post to the website if that is not the case.
March 21, 2017
- Problem Set #7 is posted on Sapling Learning
- Please see the Lecture page for Ch. 7 book problems for the 5th edition of the textbook
March 10, 2017
- Problem Set #6 is posted on Sapling Learning.
- Please the Lecture page for answer key updates and book problems for the 5th edition of the textbook.
- Exam #2 will cover the following topics:
- Intermolecular forces (Focus on sections 3.3-3.4)
- Alkanes - Nomenclature & Conformational Analysis (Ch. 4)
- Stereochemistry (Ch. 5)
- Reaction Energetics & the Basic Concepts of Organic Reactions (Ch. 6)
- Acid-Base Reactions (Review Topic)
March 2, 2017
- Problem Set #5 is posted on Sapling Learning.
- Based on when students seem to be using office hours and due to changes in meeting times, I am making some minor adjustments to office hours. Starting tomorrow, my office hours will be as follows:
- Mon/Wed: 12:15 - 1:30 pm
- Tues: 1:00-2:00 pm
- Thurs/Fri: 12:15-1:00 pm
- Office hours can also be made by appointment.
- Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) Conference
- Volunteers (Go'fers) Needed!
- Saturday, March 18
- Time: 7:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Friday, March 17
- Time: 2-3 pm
- Room: 7-106
- Please sign-up if you can help out!
February 24, 2017
- CHEM 234 lecture is cancelled for today due to instructor illness. Please check back later today for website updates.
- I recommend completing reading on Chapter 4 this weekend and working the textbook and related worksheet problems.
- I have postponed the due date for PS#4 to Tuesday evening at 9pm to give you an opportunity to ask questions in office hours on Monday or Tuesday. However, you should be able to answer most of the questions at this point in our lectures/reading.
- Exam #1 Discussion Session
- Monday, February 27
- 12:10 - 1pm (following lectiure)
- 7-115 (lecture room)
- I will also have office hours from 1-2 pm in my office this day.
- Current Grades
- Quiz #1 Adjusted Score: If your Exam #1 percentage is higher than your Quiz #1 score, then it will be replaced with the average of your Quiz #1 score and the percentage you earn on Exam #1 weighted double (and adjusted to 30 points).
Exam #1 Adjusted Score: I have added back 8 points to your raw score as discussed (+4 for #7, +4 for resonance/orbital questions: #9-10).
- Low Exam "Curve": Your lecture exam score will be replaced by the average of you lowest exam score and your two highest exam scores. This is a curve that is based on your performance and not that of your classmates.
February 16-17, 2017
- PS #4 is posted on Sapling Learning. It is due Feb. 25 at 9pm. This has a few acid-base review questions as well as introductory questions on Alkanes.
- Please begin reading and problems in Chapter 4:
- Chapter 4 - Alkanes
- 5th edition:
- Ch. 5 Reading Problems: 2,4-9,11,12,14,17-19,21-33
- Ch. 5 End-of-Chapter Problems: 36,40,42,45-50,52-58,59-60,63,64,71
- 4th edition:
- Ch. 4 Reading Problems: 2-4,6-11,13,14,16,18,19,21-32
- Ch. 4 End-of-Chapter Problems: 35,36,39achkm,41,44,47-52,54-59,61-63,65,66,74
- Ch. 4 Extra Practice Problems: 60
- 3rd edition correlations
February 8, 2017
- Thank you to all of those who helped with the EYH mailing the last couple of weeks!
- Office Hours this week:
- Wednesday: 12:30-2pm (expanded)
- Thursday: 1:15-2pm (time change and meeting in 7-341)
- Friday: 12:15-1pm (College meeting immediately following)
February 7, 2017
- PS #3 is posted on Sapling Learning. It is due Sunday, Feb. 12 at 9pm. However, most of the questions are introductory in nature with respect to IM forces, acids & bases, and functional groups, so I recommend working on these as you start your studies on these subjects, and then move into the book and worksheet problems.
February 5, 2017
- Quiz #1 Answer Key
- Grading Note: If your Exam #1 percentage is higher than your Quiz #1 score, then it will be replaced with the average of your Quiz #1 score and the percentage you earn on Exam #1 weighted double (and adjusted to 30 points).
January 30, 2017
- Thank you to all of those who helped with the EYH mailing on Friday!
- The Bonding 1,1A,1B worksheet answer keys are posted.
- Check the calendar to remind yourself of PS due dates as well as quiz and exam dates.
- Welcome to Organic Chemistry 1 Lecture
I am looking forward to a productive, challenging, and rewarding semester!
- Please visit the links to the left for important course information.
- Our first CHEM 234 class meeting will be on Wednesday, January 18, 11:10 am - Noon in 7-115
- On Mondays & Wednesdays we will meet in 7-115
- On Fridays, we will meet in 7-111
- The course text is Organic Chemistry by Janice Gorzynski Smith.
- You may use the 5th, 4th, or 3rd edition of the text.
- The reading and problem assignments are a critical part of your studying for the course!
- The 5th edition is available in the Skyline College Bookstore.
- You may be able to buy the earlier editions (4th or 3rd) online for much less money. If you choose this option, order it right away so that you will have it very soon.
- There is a copy of the fourth edition textbook and solutions manual available on 2-hour reserve in the library for you to reference until you receive your own copy.
- Regardless of the edition of the text that you purchase, I highly recommend buying the same edition of the Study Guide and Solutions Manual. The solutions manual is a complete solutions guide to all of the questions in the text.
- Free access to Organic Chemistry, 4th ed. by Smith is available online for two weeks
with the following link:
- You will need to register with the system to access it. If you are already registered with Connect, just login. You can enroll for free for two weeks. The two weeks starts the date that you sign up!
- Important: We will NOT be using Connect for the course, so you should NOT buy access.
- Please sign up for the Sapling Learning Online Homework System:
- Follow the above link.
- If you have an account, log in. If you do not have an account, create an account.
- Please enter your first and last names in the profile as they appear on your official Skyline record. If you go by a different name or a nickname, please put it in parentheses after your first name.
- From the expanding menus, select Skyline College, Organic Chemistry, Semester 1.
- Then select Skyline College - CHEM 234 - Spring 17 - Bates.
- When you register for the course on the system, you may select to use it for the first two weeks of the semester for free. You must then pay to continue to have access.
- The first Sapling Learning problem set and an introductory BONUS problem set are posted.
- Please begin reading and working book problems from Chapters 1-3 (a review of General Chemistry topics with emphasis on their application in Organic Chemistry) and the worksheets under General Chemistry Review. The problem assignments and worksheets are on the LECTURE page. The book problems and extra practice worksheets will not be collected or graded, but are an essential part of your preparation for the course and exams.
- Academic integrity is an important issue in all academic settings, and will be taken very seriously by the instructor of this course, and the college generally.
- I recognize that most students conduct themselves with honesty and integrity. I also recognize that the actions of a few dishonest students and the impact of those actions on the academic process necessitate a frank and ongoing discussion of this issue.
- Please review the Student Handbook information on Academic