CHEM 238 Laboratory Information
Experiment Information, Notes, & Class Data
- Experiment #1
- Experiment #5 (Relative Reactivities):
- Class Data
- Important Note: Acetophenone is usually deactivating relative to toluene; however the class consistently observed that it was activating in our experiment. For question 7 & 8 of the revised Discussion & Conclusions questions, treat it as a deactivating meta- directing group, as would be expected.
- The Lab Report should consist of your data, the class data with your generalizations, and answers to the Revised Discussion & Conclusions and Post-Lab Questions (handout provided in lab).
- Experiment #6 (Friedel-Crafts Reaction)
- Please prepare a standard prelab for this experiment, including the MOLE TABLE that you will use in the experiment.
- Please prepare a standard laboratory report.
- Note that the Discussion Questions in the lab handout direct you to do much the typical data analysis. Be sure include the mole table, complete IR analysis (including the out-of-plane bending mode analysis- see the table in the handout), melting point analysis, and a discussion of the experiment, including the reaction and a complete arrow-pushing mechanism for one of the alkylation steps.
- In the mechanism, be sure to include the formation of the electrophile and all important resonance structures for the intermediate and the arrows to move from one to the next.
- Please answer the Questions at the end of the handout as Post-Lab Questions.
- Experiment #7 (Synthesis of p-nitroaniline) will be completed in lab next Tuesday (11/10). Please prepare a standard report for the experiment. It will be due Friday, November 20.
- Experiment #8 (Wittig Reaction)
- The experiment handout is now posted. Please note that this is a different order than was originally planned. We will perform this experiment on 11/17, when its prelab will be due.
- Experiment #9 (Aldol Condensation)
- Prepare a Standard Prelab.
- Prepare an abbreviated report:
- Mole Table Analysis (including percent yield)
- Melting Point Analysis
- IR Spectrum and Analysis
- Post-Lab Questions: 2,4,5 only
Spectroscopy and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
- NMR Notes
- Introduction and 1H Spectral Analysis
- Infrared Spectroscopy Review Notes
Previous Semester Lab Tests and Current Semester Lab Test & Quiz Answer Keys
- Current Semeter - Please check back
- Fall 2011 Lab Test #1
- Answer Key
- Note: the LR was not correctly marked, though the correct Limiting Reagent was used in the solution.
- Fall 2011 Lab Test #2