The purpose of this assignment is to help you collect information from scientific journals. Find a recent article in a scientific journal on your research topic and provide the information (below) in a one to two page report. Start with PubMed, Google Scholar, or other science databases available through the Skyline Library and search on your topic. Read the abstracts and keep a record of interesting articles. You may have to go to SFSU or UCSF to see the articles.
Choosing an article and journal: There are many appropriate scientific and medical journals from which to choose. To evaluate the appropriateness of a Journal, the following should be true:
Note: PubMed and other databases are not journals and not to be cited as the source, they are indices to published journals.
Answer the following questions in your own words.
1. Give te citation in proper format.*
2. At what institution was the work done?
3. What was the purpose of the work reported?
4. Summarize the procedures the researchers used.
5. Summarize the results the researchers obtained.
6. Copy one table or graph and, in your own words, describe what these data show.
7. Summarize the conclusions the researchers reached.
8. Of what value to humans or to the body of knowledge is the work described?
9. What is your BIOL 230 Project on? With whom are you working?
*Citation example. Refer to the Style
Sheet for directions
(The format is: Authors. Year. "Article title." Journal. Vol.(issue #): pp-pp, date.)